According to a recent study, there are currently 1,022,000 words in the English language. Of that total, about 1/5 of those words are adjectives, so approximately 204,400 adjectives. Finally, each of those adjectives have an average of 10 synonyms. That's a lot of adjectives!
Knowing that information, could someone please explain to me why the majority of human beings in this country choose to limit their use of adjectives to a meager selection of 4-6 swear words! Not only are there plenty of more suitable adjectives to choose from, but I'm pretty sure that none of those 4-6 swear words are even adjectives! We have a fairly decent educational system in this country, so it really shouldn't be that hard to describe something better than, "that's a huge f------ rock", or "there are a s--- ton of weeds down in there." Please, have some respect for the English language, and have some respect for yourself! Learn a new adjective, and the proper one at that, and use it!
Now, I understand that there are certain situations where a swear word might be appropriate, or just difficult to suppress: you just about fell over a steep drop off, someone dropped a brick on your foot or slammed your finger in the door, or your kid walks into the house with blood all over his/her arm. While I admire those who have the self-control to not swear in situations like these, I totally understand those who do express their shock, pain, or fear in these moments by using a swear word. However, if you are going to describe a normal life situation to me, please be an educated human being and use one of the 204,400 adjectives that are conveniently provided in the English language!
*The numbers I shared were gathered from a quick search online, and were used to elucidate the point I wanted to make, and therefore should not to be quoted as facts.
No comments:
Post a Comment