This past week while I was at the temple, I noticed that one of the Sisters had a basket of candy on her desk. I couldn't help myself and walked over. Motioning to the candy, I asked, "So does this mean that there is candy in heaven?!" She just laughed and didn't give me a direct answer, but I took it as a 'yes'!
I never actually met this Professor, but apparently, we have a Professor in the religion department who had his hand blown off by a firecracker when he was younger. As we were learning about the miracle when Christ heals a man with a withered hand, our religion teacher told us this story. He said that this Professor with the missing hand was talking about the healing of the withered hand, and said, "I can't imagine how wonderful it would be to have a right hand again. However, I think, that when the day comes for me to approach Christ with my 'withered' hand, knowing full well that he can completely restore my hand, I will quietly slip my 'withered' hand into my pocket; and then when I stand before Christ I will point to my soul and say, "please, heal this." I don't know why, but this story kind of touched me and made me think about how many times the Savior physically healed people in the scriptures and said, "thy faith hath made thee whole," and then, I thought about the account of Enos when the Savior spiritually healed him and used the same words, "thy faith hath made thee whole!" Often, I think the world becomes consumed in the desire for physical perfection and physical healing. Yet, physical healing really isn't all that difficult or important. The experiences and lessons of this life can be learned in whatever body we our blessed with, no matter how healthy or disabled. Also, despite what physical ailments we have, we will all be resurrected to a perfect form regardless of what we've done or how we've lived. However, to be healed spiritually is somewhat different. Spiritually sicknesses are much more difficult to perceive in others, and ourselves but we all have them. They are pride, procrastination, hypocrisy, disobedience, immorality, dishonesty, etc. To be healed from such ailments, we have to complete certain requirements such as baptism, receiving the Holy Ghost, temple covenants, and enduring to the end. Unlike physical healing, spiritual healing won’t just happen to everyone once they die and go to heaven. This is our ultimate goal in this life; to be spiritually healed, to "put off the natural man and to become a saint through the Atonement of Christ". That is why missionary work is so fantastic! Just think about what we are doing! We are aiding the Savior in his mission to spiritually heal His children. Through the teachings of the Gospel, the covenant of baptism, and helping people to become worthy of going to the temple, we not only help to spiritually heal those who become members of the Church, but we also bless the lives of our brothers and sisters, our family members, and ourselves! Just as Christ focused on healing while He fulfilled His earthly mission, He continues to seek to heal each one of us. I know that as we teach and live the principles of the Gospel we will be spiritually healed; and that one-day, we too will stand before Christ and hear Him say, "thy faith hath made thee whole!"
I love this, Courtney. Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDelete