My recently began pattern of posting once a week was thrown off a baby bit this past weekend when I went down to Salt Lake City to attend General Conference. Sorry for the inconvenience, but WOW! What a great experience to listen to the Prophet and Apostles in person. As my siblings and I were walking to the Conference Center, I couldn't help but exclaim, "I feel like the people of King Benjamin gathering to hear his words in front of the temple!" What a blessing it is to live in a time when we can be guided by a living Prophet and Apostles!
In my Psychology class, we have been addressing the
fascinating subject of Memory.
This week, we learned the causes behind ‘memory forgetting’. One of these causes is called ‘Interference’,
which simply means that something you learned in the past interferes with new
learning, or new learning interferes with something you learned in the
past. Consequently, our professor
informed us that studying various subject topics one right after another will
decrease our capability to retain and recall learned information. Naturally, as college students with
various subject matters and very little time, we wanted to know how we could
avoid such a dilemma. We were all
a bit surprised by our teacher’s response. “If you want to avoid interference in the learning process,”
he said, “you should take a short nap in between studying different subjects!” YES!! So, now you all know; the next time you see me crashed out
somewhere, I’m just avoiding interference and allowing my brain to absorb newly
learned information! hahahaha
This week as I was at the temple, I witnessed an interesting
scene that got me thinking. As we
were waiting in the chapel, an elderly temple worker in a wheelchair entered
the room and made her way over to the organ. Another Sister helped her to get out of her wheelchair and
move carefully over onto the organ bench.
As I watched, the thought struck me “In the Lord’s kingdom there is a need
and purpose for everyone! There is
neither ‘great’ nor ‘small’, ‘important’, nor ‘meaningless;’ everything and everyone has divine purpose and value.” During this past General Conference, Elder Edward Dube said,
“The Lord through His servants calls us to serve in various
callings, which we accept with total commitment. When a release has been
extended and a call in a different assignment has been issued, we joyfully
accept it, knowing, as our forebearers knew, that “in the service of the Lord,
it is not where you serve but how”…As I travel throughout the Church I marvel
at all the positive things that are occurring. Yet I never feel that we, as a
people, are living up to our real potential. My sense is that we do not always
work together, that we are still too much interested in aspirations for
personal honors and success, and show too little interest in the common goal of
building the kingdom of God. May
we all unite in a common objective “to bring to pass the immortality and
eternal life of man!”
I love these remarks by Elder Edward Dube! Truly, every one of us has a divinely
important role in the Lord’s service.
The Lord doesn’t care if we are Stake President, First counselor in the
YW, nursery leader, Camp Director, or the Gospel Principles teacher. “In the sight of the Lord, it is not so
much what we have done or where we have been, but much more where we are
willing to go.” Let us be willing
to go with Lord wherever He calls,
and to serve with all our heart, might, mind, and strength in unity with our
fellow brothers and sisters!

No comments:
Post a Comment